My Blog Tweet Message

Coming Year End ... busy with work but also busy with food exploration :)

Just email to me at vialentino@gmail.com for any enquiry and shall reply to you soon.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

When a Beauty & Food collides together @ IR1968 Indochine Restaurant & Bar at Terrace at Hock Choon, Ampang

My amazing dining experience with a Beauty Pageant celebrity ...
  • Not long back ago, I mean just few weeks ago when I just came back from my Bali holiday ... I am starting to miss the autenthic Indonesian cuisine seriously.
  • Till then, I got this special invite from Lisa and Henry to dine with a beautiful girl in Malaysia - Debbie Goh (1998 Miss Malaysia Chinese International Pageant winner) and who is currently an Actress & TV Presenter ...

  • In 1968, the very first Indonesian restaurant was born on Yun Ping Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong ... through the years, there have been many changes; but one thing has remained constant - the food.

The beautifully lite up candles at the staircase way ...
  • The all new IR1968 INDOCHINE Bar + Restaurant at their very own first Kuala Lumpur
    outlet is bringing you to a new relaxing atmosphere and brand new Indonesian and Chinese dining experience.
  • No doubt that I enjoy the decorations and ambience when I walked up the stairs lightened with candles to the 1st floor dining area. I feel like I am in a traditional modern place with such a posh decorations as you can see from my pictures.

Love the decorations in here ... really give u a 1968 feeling ...


Such a very old authentic staircase grill which reminds me of my parents old house ...


Love the sculptures they decorated in here ...




I love the variety of masterpiece artwork collections they have in here ... by looking at the artworks, it really give a calm dining sensation ...


Another cool and creative artwork hanged in the dining area ...


Love their this ceiling light ... very traditional looking light.


A great place to chill out for some wine, liquor, healthy juices and beer ...


Oh yes, not forgetting football fanatics out there, they have a projected GIANT SCREEN screening live football matches in here ... do come here to dine & drink while watching your favourite World Cup matches ...


Let's walked out to the external dining area ...


You can dine outside and enjoy the fresh air and the KL view ...


The table bar top ...


Another cozy dining area ...


Selections of wine available in here ...


The traditional Indon-chinese plate ...


Let me present to you our beloved host of the night - Ms. Debbie Goh. Oh yes, must be wondering why is she hosting us during our dinner .... the fact is that she owns this restaurant together with her partner Hudson Chang.
  • When I show Debbie pictures I have taken to Yve, she said what is my sister doing in there jokingly ...
  • Seriously, I told her that Debbie really resembles like my elder sister by 90% and Yve totally agreed ... My sister is a Beauty Pageant Top 10 finalist in Miss Malaysia Universe long time back in the mid 90s but not a winner like Debbie ... next time I will post the face comparison and you judge for me.

A part from her winning in the 1998 Miss Astro Chinese International Pageant (formerly known as Miss Malaysia Chinese International Pageant) ... she have won the Miss Photogenic and Miss Elegant title. One thing for sure is that she will win Miss Cheerful Person if there a category for this award as she just simply love to smile and laugh ... I also truly admire her strong HK cantonese dialect ...


The very handsome Hudson Chang who is giving us an introduction on the history of the restaurant, the culture and how he blend and bring a totally new taste with both Indonesian and Chinese dish combination.
  • First question we asked what is IR stand for? Simple he told us is Indonesian Restaurant and 1968 is the year they have their first outlet opened in Hong Kong.

Hudson busy explaining to us on the drinks and food which served on our table. Debbie joined us to listen to the entertaining explanation ...
  • Without further delay, let me give your a tour and review of the drinks and foods I have drank and eaten ...

Mango Kiwi (RM12) ... very nice combination indeed ... my paletes for struck when I taste this drink, sweet and bit of sour taste from the Kiwi fruit. Love this drink a lot.


Sour Plum Juice (RM 12) ... for those who like this sour plum taste, this is the ideal drink. Feel so cooling after I drank this glass of juice.


Fresh Peach Tea (RM12) ... my very first fresh peach tea indeed ... like to drink the original fresh peach with the tea. I will never forget this fresh peach taste in my life.


Ice Lemongrass Ginger Tea (RM10) ... a truly refreshing drink. I can say it is a very Indonesian kind of drink with the taste of the ginger and lemongrass. Amazing taste!
  • Here are the foods we had ...


Chinese double boiled Shark's Bone soup (RM 20 per person) or Sop Shark ... very smooth kind of soup with the strong shark's bone taste with added some shark fins in it.


Chinese double boiled prawn soup with wanton (RM 20 per person) or Sop Wanton .. slightly creamy that the Sop Shark and this have a strong prawn flavour in the soup. I love this soup so much as I am a prawn lover ... The wanton was tender and filled with fillings in it. Enjoy this soup very much indeed.


Their signature soup - Sop Buntut or Indonesian Ox Tail soup (RM 12 per person) ... I wish I can have second bowl of this but I need to save some space for the yummy-licious food coming ... the soup taste very 'kao' or thick with the aroma from the ox itself.


Gado Gado (RM 18) - an Indonesian salad with bean curd, bean sprout, cabbage, cucumber, lettuce, potato, egg, prawn cracker with their very own made peanut sauce.


Perkedel Jagung (RM15) - an Indonesian shrimp corn cake


Tahu Goreng Telor (RM 18) - fried bean-curd and egg with peanut sauce ...


Sotong Kuning Goreng (RM 38) - fresh squid with yellow ginger, salt and pepper


Ayam Asam Kacang (RM 22) - fried chicken with peanut & plum sauce. Another unique dish with peanut and plum sauce combination.


Nasi Goreng Special (RM 25) - a special fried rice with 2pcs chicken satay, fried egg and prawn cracker.


Nasi Kuning Campur (RM 25) - comes with beef rendang,fried chicken with yellow ginger rice.


Ikan Asam (RM 38) - spicy and sour fish. Don't be fooled by the thick red spicy looking color in the dish. In fact, I love the level of the spicy and sour taste ... it is not over spicy and yet not over sour ... a perfect mixture ingredients in this Asam fish which suitable for those who can't take spicy food.


The fish is boneless and is a fish fillet ... very easy to eat and swallow into the mouth. The asam gravy goes well with white rice which they served too.


Here comes the customer favourite dish and IR1968 truly own signature dish, Semur Lidah (RM 32) - let me share with you my experience when I have this dish without knowing what meat. I thought it was a chicken chop or beef steak ... so I just happily cut and slice the meat and ate it ... I love it so much as the meat is soft and juicy ... I am wondering why the meat is soft and melt in your mouth ... then I got to know it is an Ox Tongue - an Indonesian Ox tongue with sweet semur sauce.


You wouldn't know it is an Ox tongue till someone told you the fact. This is how Debbie describes to us when she had this dish in Hong Kong. She silly enjoying & finished the Semur Lidah dish cleanly and craving for more until she got to know it is an Ox tongue in the end. It did not stop her from disliking it but instead she love it so much and she wants to share this amazing dish in Malaysia ... a must to order dish!


We got a suprise and appreciation gift to our beloved Debbie for spending the time with us despite busy serving other customers ... we penned down our signatures into a printed color paper and put it in a wooden picture frame. We even wrote our honest comments and feedback in a lovely card done by Lisa.

And of course ... the gift presentation to Debbie by our adorable Lisa ...


We have a group picture together with Hudson and Debbie ... one big happy family ...


We truly enjoy our dining experience, the great yummy foods, drinks in this restaurant ...


I will remember this restaurant as it is a place for me that I got to know new blogger friends ...


We spent the rest of the time chit chatting till late night ... took a shot of the night scenery of this splendid restaurant ...
  • Coming to the end of my post, I would like to say thanks to Debbie and Hudson for their friendly hospitality and great company. My very first time to dine face to face with a celebrity
  • Definitely, I will bring Yve and baby Dylan to this restaurant ...


At Terrace at Hock Choon, you can enjoy many other offering cuisines as well ...

  • By the way, if you are worried of finding a car park to done @ here, do not feel worry as they have 50 free car park space available.
  • The location and contact details:-

    IR1968
    Terrace at Hock choon
    1st Floor, 241-B, Lorong Nibong
    Off Jalan Ampang
    50450 Kuala Lumpur

    Tel: 017-8832160 or 03 -21413550
    Website: http://www.ir1968.com/

35 comments:

uLi.佑莉 said...

Wow...Debbie still look young and pretty :) So nice you can meet new blogger frens (",) Interesting IndoChina cuisine. Must ask Alan to bring me there ;)

Mei Teng said...

Debbie Goh's good looking.

I like the Indochine plate. Very nice.

Joanne said...

Hey Via,

Envy you lah got to makan with Debbie, can invite me next time. I am her fan you know!

Did not know now she is running her own restaurant. I will go and support her. Really nice makan environment.

kianfai87 said...

thanks for sharing

good post

and seriously! so hungry now even I had eaten my lunch. =D

by Kian Fai

Bangsar-bAbE said...

The food sure looks good. Lovely pictures! And yeah, semur lidah looks like beef steak. I wouldn't know it's ox tongue if you didn't tell me either! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very nice restaurant indeed and do not know about this place even I am working in KLCC area for many years.

Debbie Goh look so pretty in your picture. Now I have recalled about her, she act in some drama right?

iamthewitch said...

Nice place to dine! Last time I was there, the restaurant was not ready yet. Look how nice it's become now :)

jfook said...

Omg,I would like to have the peach tea. Looks so good.

2Ting-Ting2 said...

hi vialentino,

nice restaurant! like your food review a lot

SimpleGirl said...

i quite like her acting as well! nice food indeed!!!

ai wei said...

OMG!!! i love debbie!!!!

great photos, superb

Kevin said...

I like indonesian food a lot. The assam fish looks so delicious. Can't wait to give a try. Is it difficult to find a car park there?

Caroline Ng May Ling said...

got leng lui, got nice foods and drinks! so great!! =D

eh faster show us ur sis's picture! :p

ehh..i saw Bok inside thr. LOL. u busy snap snap and dont have any pics of u aye!

JAMESIE Boy said...

i love your post title, beauty and food collides together! never imagine a beauty pageant would ever run and own a restaurant. must go and jiak!

Lisa717 said...

WOw!!! what a great post of food review on IR1968!!! Yes, I knew that you can write well for this!!! Thanks so much for coming and glad that u love this place so much!! Btw, I have shared your this post link at IR1968 FB page..I'm sure lotsa traffic came to you adi!!!

reanaclaire said...

hey Via... i wonder how u can stay so slim with so much food reviews!

CH Voon said...

the girl look pretty la.. hehehee

HenRy LeE ® said...

hi bro... very nice review you had there! Do download the link list & additional info from my blog ya! Cheers! :)

smallkucing said...

Nice place. But food seems to be rather pricey

Sonya Wong said...

The food pictures is making me drooling all over the place. Anyway, I did not that Debbie have her own restaurant. Must inform my friends and go & check it out. Thanks for the sharing.

J2Kfm said...

Yup, I doubt one can forget the fact that he's biting into a tongue ... compared to a piece of steak or something.

thenomadGourmand said...

Got an invite to go in Jul. Stil not sure going or not.. think i wil enjoy the tongue too!

xin said...

the food looks really exquisite, esp the ox tongue. and oh oh, debbie is so pretty1

vialentino said...

wow...i need a free time to reply all ur comments...sorry yeah...a very busy day. once again, thanks all for ur comment ...

quick summary... here is a place u can dine and drink, watch football in this wonderful and posh environment ...

plentiful of free car park with high security ... so u can lepak till late night also not a problem.

Jean said...

oh no.. i missed out the group photo!!>.<

Derek Yap said...

A very nice outing there. i don't know got such a place in KL. will put this into my dining list. thanks.

Jasmine said...

wow............. Your pictures taken at the restaurant are nice ! I always like to visit your site and look at your pictures......

koKo~JeLly said...

Debbie is so pretty and love to watch her. The food and restaurant ambience looks so GRAND! Must go and dine and support her.

I like the Assam Fish picture. Yewllll!- u ate an Ox tongue and taste so good. I must close my eye to give a try then.

Cath J said...

nice shots..nice foods....

♥Baboon Tan♥ said...

wow! with your DSLR, the food pictures attract me more than I eat the food there!

Will link u up! nice to meet you too!

♥Baboon Tan♥ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lechua said...

ooh so this is at terrace at hock choon.. i like how they've done up that bungalow lot with a few restaurants.. been to the jap one downstairs..

Grouchy said...

Dear Johnson,

Enjoy very much every time reading your blog and thank you so much for all the informations!

Miss you!

Iriene said...

Thanks for the info, great drinks and delicious food indeed :)

Anonymous said...

The foods're good but I don't think Debbie is good if you really know who she is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails