My Blog Tweet Message

Coming Year End ... busy with work but also busy with food exploration :)

Just email to me at vialentino@gmail.com for any enquiry and shall reply to you soon.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Truly enjoy my DSLR photography

When I got my first DSLR in Dec 2009 ...
  • As most of u all know that I have submitted my business case for my DSLR and Yve approved it finally ... yippie! Many justifications in the business case and one of them is because of Baby Dylan.
  • When I got my DSLR in early December 2009, to ROI (Return of Investment) my money that I've spent on my DSLR, I started another new business to take wedding photographs, corporate events and parties to earn some side money to recover my damages.


  • I got a job in the following week only and feeling nervous. The challenge is I am newbie into DSLR and I know is not that easy to use a DSLR compare to a point and shoot camera.

  • Since I got my DSLR, I created a blogsite to register my photography business (http://www.second-angle.blogspot.com/) and I am so sorry that due to my tight busy working schedule and also it is not easy to maintain to update two blogs at a time ... I did not update my second-angle blogsite thou many pending of my event shots have not revealed in the site. Will divert the traffics to my current blogsite.

  • How I learn about DSLR photography ... for cheap way, I started to buy lots of magazines to learn the theory. Then I went for outdoor photo taking by myself to play and practise. Same goes for indoor where I train from my home. It was awesome and self satisfaction result.
  • Obviously the best way is to attend some professional classes which you can learn much more.

  • With all the lessons learnt and practise, you will improve yourself to another level.

  • Here are all the pics and the end results I have taken after a week of having my 1st DSLR. Obviously there are many areas to be improved esp on the angle and lighting and I would admit that I still got to learn more from the Pro's out there.

  • I love to take candid shots ... zooming from far away and looks so natural.





  • I able to improve more on my technique and knowledge after I have a group of foodies led by Sidney and Ken who I learn a lot from the group.
  • Food photography is an art too ...

  • Thanks to all those helping me out and coaching me in DSLR photography ... truly enjoy the DSLR results and hard for me to go back to Digital Point and Shoot camera.
  • What camera model do you own? Do share here ...

22 comments:

Mei Teng said...

I like the last photo (drink). Artistic and great looking colours. So you're Johnson Tay? Don't know your real name.

How much did you spend on your camera? You're a Canon user too?

I picked up photography on my own too. I shoot mostly alone as I work best when shooting alone without the chimping and distractions from other photogs. I also make use of books and online resources.

I enjoy landscape, food and still life photography and portraiture. But not shooting weddings and corporate events.

Mei Teng said...

Oops..I didn't see the photo of the D90 loading when I read your blog post earlier.

suituapui said...

Ya...your photos are all so very nice - the food looks like it's going to jump out of the screen. I wish I could afford one too...but old retiree, must be careful with money and save for more basic necessities. Sobs!!!

smallkucing said...

Jealous see your photos. All so nice. You have got good eyes and skills. Not like me..

vialentino said...

mei teng: yeah....forgotten that site reveal my real name...hahaha...but is ok lah. i am a nikon user....spend less than 10k ...hopefully unless itchy fingers to buy a 24-70mm lens...kekeke.

suituapui: u old? sure a not...i thought u r 20s only...hehehe

smallkuching: aiyoh, nothing to jealous...u havent see others pics yet...better than mine 10 times...i am still learning stage...

EVo said...

Not bad at all for a beginner taiko! all the best for ur 2nd biz ;)

cHrIstInA_YY said...

Nice pix! That drink pic took my breath away...

Do keep up the good work k? Gambateh! ^^

oLive said...

share ur skill with me.
i m just started to learn..
my one is canon 550d oni

pigpigscorner said...

I got my first DSLR a year ago and am loving it! There's just so much to learn, I have a 450D and I can't wait to have an upgrade!

lechua said...

hey... got a subset of ur gear... am a d90 user too... 18-200mm is great for travel..& i use the 50mm for portraits.... but i'm tempted to get the 17-50mm tamron as an alternative for event photography to the 24-70mm (maybe someday i might get that if i ever ever go to full frame....sighhh) great that u've progressed so much in photography.. shall check out ur photography site!

[SK] said...

seems like everyone is going for DSLR nowadays, so popular.. yeah, i agree practice makes perfect, take more photos and you sure will improve a lot.. btw, the last piece of photo is very nice lor..

ChrisAu said...

yeah, i also bought a lot of digital cameras mag. but I find it to be useful when u have a DSLR. Well, I will try to work out a budget for it..haha

uLi.佑莉 said...

Hehehe...happy for you :) I've also learnt alot from you guys ^^

Agree with SK, last shot is very nice :D

Lechua: Faster go and get what you want lo! *being evil here* :P

Angie Tan said...

Glad to see that you're enjoying your photography.

I'm still in the pursuit of improving my skills. Currently, I feel that whatever photo I take sucks.. LOL!

Anyway, am looking forward to upgrading my gear when the new Canon 60D comes out (if ever). Like you, am itchy to get some wide-angle lens but then, am very happy with my new 17-70mm lens.

Right now, just want to improve my photography especially using flash.

So much to learn... *sigh*

Alice Law said...

Wow... DSLR, cool!

Mandy Ling said...

Plan to get my DSLR when I finished studying and work full time. Good photos you have there.

lechua said...

haha uli... poison arr..

vialentino said...

hahaha....camera and lens is a real bloody venom and poison in our mind...if really cant control...u sure buy the lens and upgrade the body to full frame...damn....

cheeyee said...

Wah seems like photography is a trend now? Quite a number of people that I know are doing part-time photographer. Even some not doing it as business, but they are using DSLR to capture photo too.

Anyway, I am a noob on all those photography skills. I look at the picture based on "feel" only. Love all your pics here. :D

Cath J said...

greta job bro... you are good now... ^_^

kenwooi said...

i just have a cheap 1000D =)

J2Kfm said...

This is cool. D90's price has dropped drastically, and looks like a good buy now.
Though rumours are there that the next in the lineup is coming soon.

Very nice investment, I am sure in time, you can recover your initial 'losses' with projects and such.

I seriously need to get one myself soon, but I wonder if I'll be dedicated enough to carry mine around.

Related Posts with Thumbnails