My Blog Tweet Message

Coming Year End ... busy with work but also busy with food exploration :)

Just email to me at vialentino@gmail.com for any enquiry and shall reply to you soon.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Freshly made Egg Noodles from Bamboo Pole @ Restoran Fun Kee Bamboo Noodle, Jalan Sungai Besi

Since 1969 ... best char siew pork and bamboo pole egg noodles in town
  • One early morning weekend, my friends made an appointment with me to bring me the best Wan Tan egg noodles and Sang Har noodles (freshwater prawns). Not just that, he will bring me to see the art of making egg noodles with a bamboo pole ... WOW!
  • Obviously I cancelled all my appointments and slot this amazing experience as I had seen how bamboo egg noodles were made on television but never seen in real life before.


Very nice kopitiam in old style to dine in here ... edited the scene of the restaurant to make it look back like in year 1969 ...

  • You may view the process of making the egg noodles with bamboo pole right bottom of my post.
  • In year 1969, the Lee's family moved into the present premises of Fun Kee Bamboo Noodle in Kuala Lumpur. Now, 3 generations of the Lee family carry on this art of making and selling noodles in the same location.
  • I will bring you tour around their unique kitchen ...

I am wondering why they got stock of plank woods next to their stove ...


Look at their customized cooking stove with the fire pit below (now I know why they need stock of plank woods) ... they are not using gas to cook at all ...


The cooking setup arrangement ...


Uncle Lee from 2nd generation of Lee's family cooking the noodles for me ...


Why many people said their char siew pork is so nice & one of the best ... the reasons are because it was marinated in a very thick own sauce ...


Freshly made wantons ... were told they do it freshly every morning for the customers


The ready slices of the char siew ... I can smell the char siew meat from a distance when I took pictures outside from their kitchen ...


The freshly made egg noodles from bamboo pole ... ready to serve to the customers ...


I wonder this fire extinguisher have been here since 1969 ...


Char Siew Bamboo Egg Noodle (RM 4.50) - look at the texture of the char siew ... roasted well and look at the meat and fats ... once bite ... melt instantly in your mouth!


Sui Kow dumplings (RM 1 each) - filled with minced pork and chopped spring onions. The dumplings have a silky soft texture and u feel smooth when swallowing down to your throat.


Cantonese Beef Kuey Teow (RM 6.50)


Cantonese Beef Kuey Teow (RM 6.50) - The kuey teow noodles properly fried with the wok hei smell ... excellent taste! The beef have a soft texture and when u bite it, you can just swallow the whole piece of meat without chewing it ...


Mushroom & Chicken Feet Bamboo Egg Noodle (RM 5.50) - I never like to eat chicken feet in my life, seriously! I took a try of it ... and darn, din know it is so smooth and soft. I can just suck the skin and meat out of the feet.


Beef Tribe Bamboo Egg Noodle (RM 7.00) - Beef lover out there, my good recommendation to you.


Ginger Duck Bamboo Egg Noodle (RM 7.00) - Very strong ginger taste with the duck meat ... excellent to eat it with the bamboo egg noodle.


Stewed Pork Rib Bamboo Egg Noodle (RM 7.00) - this dish really worth my money ... look at the amount of stewed pork ribs on the plate.


Here comes one of their signature dish ... presenting you the Cantonese Prawn Mee / Sang Har Mee (freshwater prawns) - RM 23 per head ... freshwater prawns imported all the way from Indonesia.


Lots of meat in the freshwater prawns ... finger lickin good!!! the meat is just so sweet and soft ...


Look at the size of the freshwater prawn ... worth the price we are paying for!


Fried House Specialty Bamboo Egg Noodle (RM 6.00) - I can say they fried till very hiong ... excellent if for those likes to eat fried noodles ... the noodles taste different and probably it was made purely from eggs.
The art of making egg noodles with a bamboo pole ...
  • Here is the moment I am waiting for ... I am so excited and thrilled actually. He took us to a small room upstair where he does all the egg noodles.
  • Finally I got watch it in front of my own eyes ...


Making egg noodles The three basic ingredients used are wheat flour, duck egg and lye water. Make a hole in the centre of the flour and fill with duck eggs. Add lye water to bind the ingredients and to make the noodles springy. Knead the ingredients to form a dough.


When done, place the dough in the centre of a wooden working bench. Use the bamboo pole to knead it continuously for 15 minutes.





Once the dough is firm, flatten with a roller machine.


After the first rolling process, brush the flattened dough with tapioca flour to prevent sticking.

Roll the dough to a desired thickness and cut into fine strands.


Twist the strands into a cocoon shape. The noodles are ready to be cooked.

The freshly made bamboo egg noodles ...
  • Opens from 9am to 9.30pm daily

    FUN KEE BAMBOO NOODLE
    174-5, Jalan Sungai Besi,
    Kuala Lumpur

    Tel: 03-9221 1246

30 comments:

Mei Teng said...

Uncle Lee demo the noodle making process just for you? Wow..so nice of him.

Noodles with chicken feet is one of my fav dishes.

Caroline Ng May Ling said...

ohmy.. yummy foods again. *drool*
lucky u, dey show u how to do it, some peoples wont even show it to u. :) i never try cantonese beef kuey teow ler.. maybe i shud go search for it when am getting better. :)

vialentino said...

mei teng: he demo for a few of us ... cause they made their noodles fresh every morning ...

caroline: u can take beef then is good...the beef meat very soft & smooth and nice to eat...

Anonymous said...

Hey Via, I've tried this restaurant before many times. Their texture noodles is very nice and char siew is yummy. I did not know the char siew was marinated in a so thick black sauce & first time see how they made their noodles. Nice pictures!

Mummy Moon said...

must show this post to my hub and ask him bring us there keke

M-Knight said...

not many using traditional way to make bamboo noodles now

Jo-AnNe said...

my first time see bamboo pole noodles from internet. Never see it real life before even in TV.

Hey via, the wanton noodles really taste nice? Must go and eat LIOW!

Mandy Ling said...

Good to see how they make the noodles, thks

KY said...

waaa i didn't even know this is available in malaysia!

iamthewitch said...

Amazing way to make bamboo noodles! Will make it a point to visit this restaurant one day!

kenwooi said...

time for lunch! =)

Bangsar-bAbE said...

They also have a damn good fried rice and curry char siew wantan mee! I come here at least twice a month... ;)

email2me said...

The mee must be damn springy!

Just look at the power uncle press the noodle .... slurp~~~ drooling ....

smallkucing said...

Jealousnya...wana eat

Jeng jeng said...

wah, the food looks great. Really made from bamboo pole!

babe_kl said...

the beef noodles looks smooth, i like!

sim said...

Hie... can explain mroe on the location? the address is too simple.. at least mention where it located nearest to which place. Thanks

Jamie said...

doing nuff walk here. my eyes glued to the char siew pork! delicious looking! i can't wait to have a bite now and will turn on my GPS now.

suituapui said...

Interesting post! All look yummy! Prawn noodles - RM23 - 3 prawns cut into halves - there's a very popular shop here here too - RM20, so not much difference. There are a lot of other places - cheaper but not as nice and not so famous.

cheeyee said...

I think I went to this restaurant before. Few years back I think. Hahaha! Hmmm next time if I pass by there, must go there eat again. :)

uLi.佑莉 said...

Miss the wantan mee already...let's go again :)

Josephine Teng said...

DELICIOUS! and nice to see your great pictures. I did not know got wanton noodles made from bamboo pole. Nice to see how the noodles are made from it.

David said...

where do i park as i know it is difficult to find parking along jln sungai besi?

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

Yor...sedapnya!!! The food all look so good ler..

taufulou said...

aiks..i thought i saw this in tvb only..using the bamboo..mana tau so near my house.

must go try d~

cHrIstInA_YY said...

Very tempting the "char siu", I love egg noodle alot!!!

Haiz, you're making me miss wantan mee so badly =S

lechua said...

the making of the bamboo noodles is awesome! must have been great witnessing it - great photos of the process!

ck lam said...

Great post! I sure love to try out the noodles...so many toppings, looks delicious.

Jobless Girl said...

It looks so delicious, original and fair price!!

Casendra said...

fuyooh, you've gotto access to the kitchen! thats awesome! must try one day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails