My Blog Tweet Message

Coming Year End ... busy with work but also busy with food exploration :)

Just email to me at vialentino@gmail.com for any enquiry and shall reply to you soon.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

My own made Wanton Siew Mai

Batu 14 Puchong Pasar ...

  • I have been going to morning market nearby my area ....
  • When I ask the best pork meat part to make siew mai from the pork butcher ... the butcher asked me so many questions and have a friendly chat.
    Me: I want 200gm of minced pork meat ... give me the best meat part to make siew mai.
    Pork Guy: 200gm enough a not?
    Me: Yes.
    Pork Guy: You know how to do siew mai? Do you do for people or make for your own?
    Me: Errrr, a bit only only ler ... just make for my own.

  • Then after I bought my pork meat, I went to search for siew mai skin cause Tesco don't have any stock. I not able to find any siew mai skin also ... instead, they are selling wanton skin.
  • In the end, I bought the wanton skin as this is my first time wrapping the siew mai with wanton skin.
  • So this is called Wanton Siew Mai (Via's version)

Morning market environment ... packed, stinky smell and hot ... but I enjoy walking around and scouting for my ingredients.

My Siew Mai recipe ...
  • Let me share with you my secret ingredients:-
    - 200gm of minced pork meat (approx to make for 30-35pcs)
    - 2 stalks of Spring Onions, thinly sliced
    - 200gm of well minced fresh Prawns
    - 1 Egg
    - Chopped Garlics
    - Minced Grey Oyster mushrooms
    - Soya Sauce
    - Sesame Oil
    - 2 Pinch of salt
    - Pepper
    - Siew Mai skin wrappers
    - Vegetable oil
    - Cornflour
    - Water chestnuts (minced)
    - Optional: Crab Meat (minced)


All fresh items from morning market ... the pandan leave is for fragrant only ... just for the smell ... it is optional to steam the siew mai with pandan leaves.

  • Method :
    1. Place all the minced shrimps, pork meat and ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using a large wooden or a pair of hands, mix the ingredients well.
    2. Add in the salt, sesame oil, pepper and egg and work into the mixture evenly, then add in the vegetable oil and sprinkle a small amount of cornflour, then drizzle a little oil over the mixture and continue to work mix.
    3. Add in the grey oyster mushrooms, water chestnuts and spring onions, work these into the mixture and mix well. Now the filling is complete.
    4. Set aside in a refrigerator for approx. an hour. Stamp wanton skins into 7 cm rounds with a biscuit cutter. Spoon two teaspoons of the filling into the center and gather the edge of the wrapper to the top.
    5. Rub a little bit of oil on the plate / bamboo steamer basket.
    6. Steam over rapidly boiling water for approx 10-15 minutes or until cooked.


This is how it looks like when I mixed it with my hands .... the smell very nice and you will like it!

  • When done each siew mai should look like little cylinders, the height a little more than the diameter (approx. 2 1/2 cm by 2 cm).
  • You can do your own style of wrapping too.


This is my wrapping skill ... lots of improvement need to be done ... I am not satisfy with the wrapping ... maybe it is due to the thick wanton skins compare to the siew mai skin ...

  • Here is my final end result of my Wanton Siew Mai ... what is my taste judgement on this? I would say it taste strong compare to outside dim sum restaurant and rich in prawn and pork meat taste .... home cook mah!
  • Do try this recipe and let me know .... you may edit some of the ingredients like mushroom or prawn. I've tried to do Siew Mai with minced chicken and the outcome of the taste was not so nice compare to pork meat.

16 comments:

@ting said...

my mum also try to make siew mai before...^^
urs looks nicer..hahaha

Lulu said...

WOww....clap for ur great job!!

vialentino said...

ting: wah...sure bor...dun make me happy...but siew mai is quite easy to make.

lulu: thank u ler...finally completed this project

Ai-Ling said...

it doesn't really matter how ur siew mai looks like. it's the thought that counts. i'm sure your wife is proud of u :)

thenomadGourmand said...

not bad worr..u can cook!! dinner party soon?? *hint hint* ;p

Agnes Cheong said...

Walao!! superman?? What a good husband~~ make siew mai also...

Adrian & Aeiween said...

wowww~~ you really better than me know how to take care your wife and also cook for her! i must learn from you cooking skill! so "Si Fu" can you teach me? =)

annant said...

my mami made wantan once too to complement homecooked wantan mee :)

babe_kl said...

wow so much liew inside, i want!

Josephine said...

thanks for sharing the recipe!

Bengbeng said...

i will try this out this coming weekend. ill not taste or look as good as yours i am sure :)

:: yvonne :: said...

wow!!! good husband wor.!!! ok la. next time i wanna try to make siew mai!!! :) but duno when.. haha..

Lemonjude said...

good try doing it...the meat itself looks delicious with all ingredient mixed in...look doesn't matter, enjoy the process and eating it...

Jys said...

wow, looks good wor, I bet it taste nice too!

Dhemz said...

hey Via, you've finally showed us your cooking skills on siomai...filipino term...hehhehe!

I will definitely try this dish in the future....I thought it's very complicated to make than I thought...pretty impressive!

Agnes Sim said...

too bad la...my hubby din eat pork. haizzzz

Related Posts with Thumbnails